- Architects: Kengo Kuma & Associates
- Location: Hikari, Yamaguchi Prefecture, Japan
- Area: 1987.19 sqm
- Project Year: 2015
- Photographs: Daici Ano
- Structural Engineer: YSE Architects office
- Mechanical Engineer: Morimura Architects Office
- Sign Design: Japan Design Center, Principal designer Kenya Hara
- Chairman Of The Board Of Directors: Kaoru Umeda.
- Client: Medical Corporation shi-sei-kai,Umeda hospital.
- Text Translation: Kiichiro Usami
- Site Area: 2697.18 sqm
- Building Area: 858.35 sqm
Umeda Hospital is as well-known obstetrician-gynecologist practice about ‘Declaration of breast’ that aims for child-birth and child-rearing, in a kind and friendly manifest to people and the natural environment. The hospital led by Dr. Kaoru Umeda, is certified by UNICEF as one of ‘’The Hospitals Friendly to Babies‘’.
Dr. Umeda attaches importance to breastfeeding and cuddling. To best reflect his human philosophy in the architecture, we used wood in many places to express warmth and comfort. The signage by Kenya Hara is printed on pieces of cloth and covers boards and posts in the hospital, and can be taken off for washing just like clothes, which works well to soften the atmosphere of the hospital.